One of the saddest stories I have ever seen on a House Fire. 11 people were killed. House Insurance does not bring them back. We always want to see lives saved because houses can be replaced. People cannot.
Despite the tragedy, the way the community rallied around the family makes me proud to live in this state.
We do not yet know what caused the fire but the only other thing positive we can use out of this is to learn from it.
- Make sure you have smoke detectors installed and working.
- Have the electricity wiring checked on a regular basis.
- Pest control to prevent rodents biting into wiring and causing other health issues.
- Install Fire Blankets and Fire Extinguishers in the kitchen.
- Keep Radiators a safe distance from combustible material.
- Do not smoke in your home. Not just for health reasons but in case butts are not extinguished adequately.
- Keep matches and lighters well out of childrens reach.
- Be careful in the use of candles, especially during black outs.
- Keep fuels and other flammables in a lockable storage box (preferably fire proof) and
- Dispose of household rubbish adequately.
These are just some of the ways we can help prevent such a tragedy from happening to anyone else.
ABC News Story